Wednesday, 29 May 2013

Huaraz.

So I figured I should probably update this, seeing as I've been pretty MIA lately. I've been wanting to post for a while now but it's pretty much just been everyday life here. I did, however, go on a weekend trip to Huaraz recently though. Huaraz is in the Andes Mountains, and is a significantly different culture and landscape to busy, coastal Lima. 

I think the best way to describe Huaraz is the Peruvian version of Switzerland. Each way you look, there is snow-capped mountain tops towering over rolling hills of green, dotted with dairy cows. It was an entirely different world for me- we were 3 200 m above sea level, which is higher than any mountain in Australia. Thankfully the altitude didn't affect me too badly (it can really knock the wind out of people, make you spin out or feel nauseous because it's so high), thus allowing me to make the most out of my time up there.

A small group of exchange students were up there with me to hand out wheelchairs to those in extreme poverty who needed them, which was an incredibly moving experience for all of us. Seeing the looks of gratitude upon their faces when they got to sit in their own wheelchair (which, for some, was the first time in their life that they had done so) was simply amazing. We also got to have a day or so to look around, try 'cuy' (roasted guinea pig), discover some ancient ruins nestled in the hillside and a beautiful turquoise lagoon 3 800 m above sea level. Simply breathtaking!





























No comments:

Post a Comment